Saturday, May 21, 2016

Laughter, Really Is The Best Medicine!

Y’all, as I prepare to drive across country, just me and the doggy diva I've been feeling a little melancholy. Not really sad but just a bit funky and could really use a pick me up. And as luck would have it I got an e-mail from a fellow PR (public relations) professional inviting me to attend the screening of Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising. So I grabbed my keys and headed to Atlantic Station to claim my free ticket, popcorn and soda.

While I was on my way to the theater, I got a text message from another PR friend who invited me to Queen of Katwe, so at the stoplight I googled the film (because I'd not heard of it). While, the movie produced by Disney looked to be an extraordinary thought provoking story being told about the African Diaspora and I have to admit I'll end up buying a ticket for if I'm not invited to another screening of it. But sometimes you just need a laugh sooooo I texted back that I had a previous engagement and I would have to pass but please keep me in mind for future screenings and to please send me an e-mail with as much info as possible about Queen of Katwe to include in a future post.

So I pull into the parking garage at 5:45 and as I get out of my car and head to the elevator a group of young People of Color (Indian to be specific) almost ran me over the young lady who was driving apparently had watched too many stereotypical movies of African Americans and became aggressive with me!  I was like JEEEZUZ take the wheel. I'm on my way to "work" technically... don't let this Chile kill my vibe!  

 So I take a deep breath and get in the elevator and continue on to the theater. When I get upstairs there's a line for screenings and I give my name and the theater rep says, Ms. Robinson which movie will you be reviewing tonight? You're on the list for both! I have to be honest I almost switched from the comedy to the thought provoking Queen of Katwe....but y'all I really needed to laugh!  So I asked what perks came with the Queen of Katwe vs Neighbors 2 Sorority Rising. Stop laughing y'all!! Yes, it does matter if you're getting free popcorn and a soda when you're reviewing these shows! I mean come on, you know it makes for a better experience!   Anyhoo the rep advises that the best perks come with the original movie I was invited to review Neighbors 2 Sorority Rising.  I tell the theater rep, Neighbors 2 Sorority Rising it is! Don't judge me, but the popcorn & soda were gonna help with the viewing experience and the healing of the melancholy.   

All of a sudden there is a lot of yelling & cursing behind me as I head toward the concession stand and guess who I see running into the theater acting like a bad stereotype? That’s right the young ladies from the parking garage! And its true God don’t like ugly! They were ushered right on out of the theater! Isn’t karma great?  Anyhoo back to Neighbors 2 Sorority Rising! So the crew from Dish Nation was in the house to open up the show Da Brat and crew really got the party started.

And then the show started… no previews straight to the opening…y’all I never stopped laughing! I laughed from the time the movie started until the credits rolled! Take a look at the trailer and get your laugh on y’all and if your soul needs a pick me up….go see Neighbors 2 Sorority Rising this weekend.



For those of you wanting to know more about Queen Katwe check my next post! Alright Tahtah for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment