Saturday, June 7, 2014

A Tribute To My Shero Dr. Maya Angelou

Last week America lost a living legacy Dr. Maya Angelou transcended to her spiritual journey and today us mere mortals laid her phenomenal human form to rest. You can watch some of that tribute here.


When I was a little girl, I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Maya and I was mesmerized! She and Morrie Turner had come to school for "Black History Week"! Yes it was just a week back then....anyhoo ...

She was the first person out side of family that I wanted to be like. And I just had to tell her that! So when my teacher called on me (one of the few little black girls in my class) and said ,"Karen what do you want to be when you grow up?" I said, "I want to be just like Ms. Maya Angelou"! (at the time she wasn't Dr. Maya yet). Well, Ms. Maya Angelou said, "Chile be yourself! You'll be much more amazing that way"! Every since then it didn't hurt so much when the other Black kids told me I was "acting white", because in my head I was always saying they're just mad because I'm more amazing than they are!

Help honor Dr. Maya by signing the petition to have a stamp or stamps made with her image on it! Just click the link below and we're on our way!
http://act.weareultraviolet.org/sign/Angelou_stamp/?t=3&akid=1042.822850.mKeY2Z

Honor Dr, Maya everyday by, being yourself and be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment